Monday, September 22, 2008

Over Qualified

The first time a person is told they are over qualified for a position, they may actually feel pretty good. “Hey, I am too good to work there.” By the third or forth time a person hears it, they may start to believe there is a problem. The over-qualified card can be dealt for a number of reasons. If there is too much information or education on your résumé that goes beyond the job you’re applying for, you may be disqualified as being over qualified.

Sometimes being over qualified can be handed out during the interview. At that point the reason may be more about fit than anything else. The interviewer may not believe you will fit in with the group. Being over qualified is a very easy out for any interviewer.

If you suspect you are not getting positions or interviews for this reason there are a couple of steps you can take. Firstly, ask yourself if you truly are over qualified, why are you going after this job? When it comes to the interview you will need a good explanation that sells the interviewer on the value of hiring someone with your skills and squash any fears they may have that you will be bored with the position after a week. The interviewer will also need to believe you are a team player and not coming in to upset the apple cart or have your own agenda.

Showing up in a three piece suit for a job where the dress code is blue jeans may also get you over qualified.

As for the résumé, it should only contain the information needed to show you are the right candidate. Be careful with your previous titles. They may not want to hire a customer service agent who is a former District Manager.

Your Comments are welcome.

Glen Slingerlands Skills 101 / Job Development

1 Comments:

At January 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have learned that there is no advise that will be guaranteed to get you past any certain hurdle. One will advise you tone down your resume, while another will say not to do so, after all it is part of the entire sum which makes you who you are.

These days I do not include on resumes that I spent 15 years working for a major utility in BC. (They might think I want to start a union, or hold them up for a hefty pay increase after they have devoted time and training to me!)
I do not tell them that I owned a small web design business for 10 years, but that I merely worked there. (I would not want them to wonder if I could take instruction from someone younger and probably less experienced then me, after my spending years in the Boss's chair! )It is hard to show just enough to qualify for the position when proof of experience might cinch the job for you....or cause you to lose it!
So these days my resume is pretty slim with whatever skills I can slip in there somehow, without exposing much of my background. After all..what can I do? I need a job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home