Monday, July 28, 2008

Should I go or should I stay

Someone I know was recently let go from their job. When I asked why, she said she wasn’t sure, and then she said she had not been happy with her job for sometime and her boss finally called her on it. Gee, I wonder what gave it away. The fact she was miserable at work might have had something to do with it. Those are feelings that can be very hard to mask. If you put five people in room and only four are having a good time, it is not difficult to spot the person who isn’t. I had one of those jobs once but fortunately my wife at the time had the insight to strongly suggest I get out before it destroyed me.

Being happy in your work can be just as important as earning enough to support yourself and your family. Sometimes having a great job that doesn’t pay quite as much as you would like it too can be healthier, mentally and physically. Meanwhile, anyone able to earn more money than they need and also work in their passion is truly the envy of us all.

Lots of people will go through life and never have the opportunity to work at something they can honestly call their passion however it is possible to work at something you really enjoy. The trick is to find the balance and have the courage to walk away from something you hate before an employer asks you to leave.

Your comments are welcome.

Glen Slingerlands – Skills 101 / Job Development

1 Comments:

At January 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have to agree totally. I was also unhappy with my work situation. Not my job, I enjoyed my job a great deal, but I could not abide the lack of interest shown by the manager to his employees, except for a certain few. The others were there to only serve. He put as many buffers between himself and the work crew as possible leaving little in the way of any open door policy. The majority of employees just did not exist. He appointed a Foreman, whose sole function was to do little all day long after acquiring that position except become an enforcer. The job place went from one where experienced employees who knew their jobs delighting in their work, to a place of toxic paranoia! Very sad. I have been out of there for almost a half year but it still affects me! Wish I had left much sooner. I still get angry and upset at the way people were and still are treated there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home